Living in Leipzig


The International Center estimates that the monthly expenses of an average student in Leipzig are about 650 €. Of course, your real spending will depend on your consumption. Estimated expenses:

Housing: Cost for rent range from 150 to  300 € per month. Keep in mind, that usually you will have to pay a deposit (at least one month’s rent) when you move in, and that “Kaltmiete” means that electricity, water, gas/heating is not included.

Food: It is hard to calculate expenses for food per month, but you will be probably fine with some 250 € per month.

Health insurance: If you don’t have your own health insurance but need to get one in Germany, there are student’s tariffs for approx. 79 €. Further information about how to get health insurance and which one to get is provided by the International Center.

Mobility: The term fee includes a special semester ticket for students which is valid for the whole mobility network “Mitteldeutscher Verkehrsbund” (MDV), which includes of course all local transportation in Leipzig as well. You can use it throughout the term and as well as during the term holidays.

Fees: For every term you study at the University of Leipzig you have to pay a term fee (currently 193,50 €). For your student’s ID you will have to pay a deposit of 10,- €, which will be reimbursed after you return it at the end of your stay at the UL. Keep in mind, that depending on visa regulations, proof of secured financing of livelihood, etc. may cause even more costs.

To top


German students tend to either live in a student’s dormitory or share a flat.

Hall of residence: The Studentenwerk (Student’s Services) offers furnished rooms in the student’s residence. Please keep in mind that there are no such things as blankets, dishes etc. included. However, student’s initiatives like Wilma support you in getting these things if you cannot bring them yourself. Furthermore, be aware that the student’s residences are located at different spots in the city. Some are rather far off the center, but in your application you can state your preferences as well as your preferred moving-in date. Please be aware that the residence’s caretaker do not work on weekends. If you wish to move in on a weekend’s day there might be problems with the key disposal. | Further information

Room in a shared flat: Rooms in shared flats usually dispose of an equipped kitchen and bathroom as well as WiFi, land line telephone and washing machine. Students who spend a term abroad often sublet their room as a so called “Zwischenmiete”, which means for a limited time. These rooms usually are rented out furnished. However, things like blankets and towels might be good to bring yourself. Rooms rented as “Miete” often are not furnished at all. Please be aware of that. If you want to look for a room in a shared flat with other students have a look at one of the following websites.
Das Schwarze Brett

Own flat: If you prefer to life in an own flat, there are several websites which might help  you on that account. However, please keep in mind, that a flat-lease is sometimes bound to one year of renting and that there will probably no furniture included.
Das Schwarze Brett
ImmobilienScout 24

To top

Social contacts, leisure activities

Getting in touch with your fellow students might be difficult at the beginning, free-time activities and social networks may help on that account. The Department of History, Arts and Oriental Studies offers a Buddy-program called “BeBuddy” to support international students during their first months in Leipzig – Further information about content of the program and application procedure.

Social networks, contacts & tips for leisure activities:

  • WILMA is an initiative for international students. They take you out for trips, organize parties, help you to get started in Leipzig | WILMA-Website
  • The Leipzig Student’s Service (Studentenwerk Leipzig ) offers an Tutor- and another Buddy-program and provides you with support in the student’s dormitories | Tutors at the Studentenwerk
  • Referat Ausländischer Studierender – RAS: If you need help at the university or if you want to engage with the student’s council you can contact the RAS | RAS-Website [German]
  • Tandem Learning: If you want to meet people and improve your language skills, you could go for Tandem | Tandem-Büro [German]
  • Sports: The center for university sports (Zentrum für Hochschulsport – ZfH) offers as well a sport’s program for students | Further information [German]
  • Music: If you play any instrument or enjoy singing in a choir, you can join the University’s Orchestra [German] or University’s Choir [German].

To top

If you are in trouble

  • 112 that is the emergency call number, no matter if there is a fire, or you need an ambulance. 110 ist the emergency call number of the police. Both numbers works even if you don’t have any credit left on your cell phone or coins on a public phone.
  • Psychological support can be found here

To top

last modified: 24.10.2019

Your GKO-StiL-Buddy

Jana Bante
Ritterstraße 12, room 506 (4th floor)
04107 Leipzig
consultation hours: tuesdays, 14.00 - 15.30 h

Phone: +49 341/ 97 37230